The most important date in a Lubiąż`s history is 16 August 1163. That day prince Bolesław Wysoki made Cysterians moved in to Lubiąż from Pforty near Saala in Turyngia.. Monks`s goal was to bring Lubiąż into the agricultural effect. They got many gifts so their equipment had risen. It gave them a chance to develop. So they could open a branch in Henrykowo, Kamieniec Ząbkowicki and Mogiła near Kraków. They also carried women Cysterian in Trzebnica. Monks were the great builders and had organizational abilities. It is not nessesary to convict it is true, heeding there were three churches in XII and XIII century. The hight of economic and cultural boom abilities of monastery fell on XIV century, which was the center of literary production. Then manuscripts with initials were made. Time of that great development were broke by husyci, during the war they have robed and burned the monastery. It was in 1432. It was rebuild quite fast, it got new equipment and has been surrounded by a wall. Once again it was destroyed by Sweden during the Thirty Years War. After that, became the greatest development of Lubiąż`s monastery, it last over a hundred years; the Munks were resumed. In this period many distinguished Monks: A. Freiberger, L. Bauch or K. Beyer. The fortune and economic things has been put in order, the monastery`s church and cells has been resumed, the monastery`s school has been built during the reigning of Monk Freiberg. He also made the famous painter Michael Leopold Willmann come to Lubiąż. Willmann`s painting decorated not only monastery in Lubiąż but also in Henrykowo or Krzeszów. They were also sending abroad. Willmann educates many students like: Peter Brandl czy John Liszka. The sculptor and architect Mathew Steinl decided to live in Lubiąż. The extended monastery`s library was helping in study of teologia. Lubiąż`s Moks were teachers in Wroclaw University on XVIII. A high standard of monastery`s economic let them take very important decision: it is building the new monastery. According to assumptions the new monastery was erecting very fast thanks to the second Monk who was reigning the monastery. Konstanty Bauer, the next reigning Monk decorated main rooms, frescos in kakapitularz and reflektarz (painted by F. Scheffler), library and Sala Książęca (F. Bentum). Filip Bentum is also an author of canvas which are on a ceiling in Sala Książęca. You can admire them till today. The sculptures in Sala Książęca are made by F. J. Mangoldt, silesian sculptor whose work of art are n the garden and the stone fountain. When silesia was uder the zabór pruski, the year 1740 was the begining of another fall of monastery. It last to 1810 and has finished with secularization. Monastery`s buildings were intended for military hospital, Saint Jacob`s church was inteded for arsenal. Economical buildinds and monk`s palace were intended for horses and church left for the faithful. Rooms in monastery were distroyed very fast becouse there was no master. During the Second World War the monastery was change into the weapon factory forced labour.
School in Lubiąż had the unniversary on 5 November. It has a great history during which there were many events. Many teachers and students rewinded through it`s walls. It was changing place several times. Emilia Tutak had found school in Lubiąż. When she came here with family, she submited a proposal to education inspector to found a school. He offered her two places: Mojęcice and Lubiąż. She had chosen Lubiąż. First classes took place on 5 November 1946 on cuurent Wojska Polskiego Street. There were 32 students: 13 girls and 19 boys in 1-4 classes. There was a big difference in age of children in the first period of teaching. That was the war effect. Classes were joined: first with second and third with fourth. Lubiąż was getting populated little by little: repatrianci from France came on 15 May 1947. There came into being Ośrodek Mechanizacji Rolnictwa on today hospital premises. On September 1947 there were 62 students: 33 girls and 29 boys, a year later - 87. In the meantime russian army who was stationed here since the Second World War finished, has left. 1 April 1948 the school has moved into the one biulding which used to be army`s on Wolności Street (now M. L. Willmanna Street) There was evangelical school before the War. That year Zofia Mandiuk was working with Emilia Tutak.They both were teaching all subjects.
In school year 1951/52 appears another teacher in Lubiąż`s school - Władysława Kędzierska. She started to work in 7 classes school. She was teaching history, wychowanie obywatelskie, scouting. Weronika Lubiatowicz was the director then. Besides those ladies there also taught: Józef Lubasiewicz and Elżbieta Gnatiuk - later many times school director. The school were in two buildings on todays Bolesława Wysokiego Street, where was a playschool before war. Every teacher tought younger classes and also specific subjects in olders. In Władysława Kędzierska`s class III were 30 people. There were more children next - 50`s years. Classes often were 45 - 50 people. In the evenigs there were classes for illiterats and supplement classes for those who didn`t finish VII class.
Prepared by Małgorzata
"Green Point" a Hostel of Tourist Information
Authority of Wołów with Lubiąż Foundation has planned the opening a Hostel for tourists with center of turist information in Lubiąż. It wold be in Monastery in the old cart`s building. This building is between old monastery`s kancelaria and Saint Jacob`s Church. Now this biulding is not reclaimed and it could be useful to tourists. Its size can hold not only the office but a hostel too. There is an Inn on monastery premisses. It can fit for that Hostel. Creating this point will give a great opportunity for develop of tourism for Lubiąż. It`s true that we have a catering and accommodation, all that`s missing here is a information center. The Monastery is recovering the shine and its greatness thanks to Lubiąż Foundation, it also does everything to let tourists see the Monastery in all its splendour. It is worth to ask yourself: what is better? To build a new information center or fix already existing building of old cart`s building? Time will show if that center be or we still fix only that what broke?
Visit of Prince Jan from LuxemburgOn 23 August 1993 the unusual guests from Luksemburg Prince Jan with his wife Józefina-Charlotta and ther dignitaries. They visitd the Monastery and later lied a wreath at a memorial of killed Luxembourgeois buried on Lubiąż`s cementary. Lubiąż, its location and everything what we have made an impression on Luxemburg`s guests. It was very short but unforgatable visit.
King of pop music
This year the Voluntary Fire Station in Lubiaz celebrate the 60-th anniversary. It was brought into being after the II World War, between 1947 and 1948. Tadeusz Iwaszkiewicz who is already dead , was well-deserved activist and chairman. In January 2002 Lubiaz`s Fire Station was sign on the National Rescue-Extinguish System. Now there is 31 staff including 17 active all the time and a youth section.
The Voluntary Fire Station in Lubiaz was risen before war in 1903 served for Lubiaz, Prawikow, Rataje, Zagorzyce, Domaszkow and both Krzydlinas. Seperate sections for Zagorzyce, Rataje and Prawikow were raisen in1934. The old building fire station was on the Sain Jadwiga street. They used to use the horn to signal the fire alarm. Now the Fire Station is on the Willmana Street.
Translated by Monika K.